In order to tryout, players must have their completed gold card from the school nurse. Information on how to get a gold card can be found at
Tryouts will take place at SHS for all levels as indicated on the cheerleading calendar.
Players should bring cleats, sneakers, shin guards, size 5 ball and water.
Players are expected to be present at all tryout sessions. Missing sessions will be incorporated into the coach's evaluation of players for the Varsity team.
Tryouts consist of assessments of individual soccer skills. Player tryout evaluation is based on the following:
- Physical criteria including quickness, speed, endurance, strength, power, and agility.
- Technical criteria including receiving in the air and on the ground, dribbling, passing, shooting, heading, and crossing.
- Tactical criteria including use of space, changing direction/point of attack, creativity, vision, defending, and attacking.
- Psychological criteria including winning 50/50 balls in the air and on the ground, composure, taking risks, perseverance, coachability, team player mentality, and responding to mistakes.
- The coaching staff also tests the athletes for general athleticism.
Players are also evaluated on their cooperation with other players and their ability to take direction from the coaching staff.