Scarsdale Debate Team Cleans House
The Scarsdale High School Speech & Debate Team had another successful year, and finished off strong in their last few team events.
34 students competed in the New York State Tournament.
- David Huang was a quarter finalist in Varsity Lincoln Douglas debate.
- Lana Weiser was a semi finalist in Intermediate Lincoln Douglas debate.
- Junior Varsity Extemporaneous speaking:
- Arya Goyal was a semi finalist
- Anjali Schoetz placed 5th
- Natasha Pereira won the State Championship
- Varsity Extemporaneous speaking:
- Sam Drescher, Jeffrey Lee, and Anushka Kumar were quarter finalists.
- Rishika Bansal placed 4th
- Cindy DeDianous was the runner up
- Junior Varsity Oral Interpretation of Literature:
- Abigail Underweiser placed 3rd.
- Carly Gelles won the State Championship in BOTH Varsity Oral Interpretation of Literature and Program Oral Interpretation. She also placed 5th at the National Individual Events Tournament a few weeks later.
At the National Catholic Forensic League National Tournament, four team members travelled to Nationals for their first in-person competition since March 2020. With only four competitors, the team placed 5th overall out of 150 schools after every competitor advanced to elimination rounds. To put in context how rare it is for every competitor to advance and rank as well as Scarsdale, consider that the first place team was performing with 26 competitors to Scarsdale’s four.
- Sophomore Anjali Schoetz was an octafinalist in Varsity Extemporaneous speaking.
- Senior Sam Drescher was a quarterfinalist in Varsity Extemporaneous speaking.
- Junior Carly Gelles was a semi finalist in Varsity Oral Interpretation of Literature.
- Senior Rishika Bansal placed 5th in Varsity Extemporaneous speaking.
Congratulations on a stellar season!