Welcome to Dr. Browne's Webpage.
Scarsdale Middle School
Popham 6 Science
Contact Popham House: (914) 721 - 2640E-mail: email@example.comWelcome
Welcome to 6th grade science! Throughout this year you and I can look forward to many experiences which include but are not limited to the following - getting to know each other, sharing our science excitement and knowledge, learning the art of scientific inquiry, exploring both the known and unknown, many investigations and experiments, projects, presentations, trips, fun, and of course learning about the wonderful world of science. May our science journey begin!Mission Statement
Science is a process of gathering information through precise and accurate investigation, in order to increase ones' knowledge of natural phenomenon and the unexplained. Sixth grade science introduces students to this investigatory pursuit of knowledge. It is through a process of active and authentic learning techniques that foster a students' inquiry skills, that sixth grade science will open the doors of scientific wonder and exploration to each student.~ Dr. Christi Browne
The major topics of study throughout the sixth grade year will be intertwined to show the interdependence of the natural environment and laws of the physical world.
Scientist Training Program
- Process and Nature of Science and Inquiry- Scientific Measurement and Equipment
- Data Collection, Analysis, Extrapolation, and Application
Water - Science Skill Development/ Progression
- Water physical and chemical properties; water’s ecological function
Earth - Exploring Our Planet
- Universal Gravitation and Earth in the universe; rotation, revolution and Earth’s cycles; Environmental break down; Life on earth
Adapted for Survival - Investigating the Energy and Motion of Life
- Energy transfer and conservation; Adaptations, motion, and momentum (physics of flight, speed, velocity, acc.); Interaction and interdependence
Life Cycles On and On - Culmination of Ecology and Physics
- Cycles and rhythms; human ecological impact (negative and positive)Extra Help
Yes, you're invited to extra help!
- Extra help will be offered after school from 2:30pm - 3:20pm Tuesday - Thursday, except during the coaching seasons (see below)
(During the cross-country (Sept. - Oct.) / track (April - May) seasons there will be no after-school extra help available. Early Morning Extra Help will be scheduled twice a week as needed at 7:30am!)~Note~Schoolwires is meant as an additional support to parents and students. It does not take the place of the student agenda (in which homework, assessments and projects should be recorded and checked daily) nor does it take the place of the science binder (of which students are responsible for keeping organized and up-to-date). The practice of agenda and binder keeping, are essential skills to the development of responsible and independent learners. Therefore do not rely on Schoolwires, use it as a back-up or check-up system. Thank you.
Tweets by Popham6Team