Philosophy and Objectives
The Special Education Department adheres to the philosophy that each individual with a disability is entitled to the support necessary to maximize his/her potential given the resources of the District. The Special Education staff, in conjunction with classroom teachers and other educational personnel, have a commitment to the following objectives:
- To create an effective climate for learning by sharing all available information about a child's disability pertinent to the child's performance in an educational setting.
- To provide and implement program and testing accommodations as stipulated on the IEP.
- To facilitate each student's academic progress and social development by establishing appropriate goals and providing instruction.
- To support and act as a resource for classroom teachers working with students with special needs.
- To encourage students to be aware of their strengths and weaknesses so that they can become good advocates for themselves in all settings.