In an effort to expand the experiences that our students receive, we offer an Independent Study course that may be taken during a student’s 10th - 12th grade school years. All online applications for this course must be reviewed by the Department Chairperson, Mrs. Roemer, and high school administration for approval. Only 3 units (three quarters) may be taken during the student’s 10th - 12th grade course of study, with a limit of one per year.For 2021-2022:All Independent Study applications must be submitted by the second week of the school year for which you are seeking enrollment in the Independent Study course. For the 2021-2022 school year, the application due date is Wednesday, September 15, 2021. This application deadline is for all four quarters of the school year. No exceptions.For 2022-2023:All Independent Study applications must be submitted by the second week of the school year for which you are seeking enrollment in the Independent Study course. For the 2022-2023 school year, the application due date is Friday, September 16, 2022. This application deadline is for all four quarters of the school year. No exceptions.Criteria for the Independent Study course include:
1. Student must have achieved the Healthy Fitness Zone standard in all of the components of the most recent FitnessGram fitness test, given annually in June (June 2022 dates include June 17 at 12:30pm, June 21 at 11:00am, and June 22 at 11:00am).
2. Student currently meets all Physical Education requirements.
3. The course requested must be educational in nature within the field of Physical Education (Neither competition nor practice sessions will be considered).
4. A certified professional within the individual field of study must teach the course.
5. Student needs to participate in a minimum of 25 hours in the activity during the quarter, with active engagement throughout each week over the course of the quarter.
6. The course cannot be offered, nor any derivative of the course be offered, here at Scarsdale High School.40% of the grade is earned through documentation of performance.
Grading for Independent Study:
10% of the grade is earned for timely and accurate reporting.*Students are required to turn in a time log every five weeks; one log is turned in at a meeting with Mrs. Roemer halfway through the quarter, and the second time log turned in at a meeting with Mrs. Roemer at the end of the quarter. Each entry in the time log must include date, time, a brief description of the class, and a signature from the certified professional.2022-2023 Due Dates for Signed Time Logs/Journal Entries:1st Quarter: TBD2nd Quarter: TBD3rd Quarter: TBD4th Quarter: TBD
50% of the grade is based on articulating learning outcomes, self-assessment, and future designs for continued study in the particular field of study. This is due in essay form, which is turned in at the final meeting with Mrs. Roemer.
At the end of the quarter, students will submit the final detailed time log with signatures along with a project write-up that reviews the activities in which the student was engaged and reflects the learning that took place as a result of the experience. This write-up must include all the information listed above (articulating learning outcomes, self-assessment, and future designs for continued study in that particular field).Procedure for Application:
1. Complete the online application. All Independent Study applications must be submitted by the second week of the school year for which you are seeking enrollment in the Independent Study course.Independent Study Application - this link will be active May 1, 2022 to September 16, 2022.2. Once the online application is submitted, print and complete the Physical Education Department Independent Study Proposal Signature form. Return the signed form to Mrs. Roemer in the Athletic Office (Room 235) along with the brochure/website, as requested in the online application by September 16, 2022.3. Completed applications, signature form, and brochure/website all must be submitted before the due date. Materials may be submitted to Mrs. Roemer in Room 235. An application that is received after the deadline will not be considered.
4. Students need to attend their scheduled P.E. class until notified of the department’s decision.