First grade listening and speaking goals are addressed throughout the day, as the children become a community of learners - through direct instruction and simple everyday interaction. Partner work, small groups and large group time offer wonderful opportunities to practice appropriate social skills which enhance learning.
First Grade Listening and SpeakingListening
• Listen attentively to speakers and ask relevant questions to clarify information
• Follow, restate, and give oral instructions that involve a short related sequence of actions.
• Share information and ideas about the topic under discussion, speaking clearly at an appropriate pace, using the conventions of language.
• Work productively with others in teams
• Follow agreed-upon rules for discussion, including listening to others, speaking when recognized, and making appropriate contributions.
• Determine the purpose(s) for listening such as to gain information, to solve problems, and to enjoy and appreciate
• Respond appropriately to directions and questions
• Participate in rhymes, songs, conversations, and discussions
• Listen critically to interpret and evaluate
• Listen responsively to stories and other texts that are read aloud, including selections from classic and contemporary works
• Identify the musical elements of language such as rhymes or repeated sounds
• Choose and adapt spoken language appropriate to the audience, purpose, and occasion, including use of appropriate volume and rate
• Use verbal and nonverbal communication in effective ways such as in making announcements, giving directions, or making introductions
• Ask and answer relevant questions and contribute to small or large group discussions
• Present dramatic interpretations of experiences, stories, poems, or plays
• Learn the vocabulary of school such as numbers, shapes, colors, directions, and categories
• Use appropriate vocabulary to describe ideas, feelings, and experiences
• Clarify and support spoken messages using appropriate props such as objects, pictures, and charts
• Retell a spoken message by summarizing or clarifying