Back to School is not just for your child!
The Scarsdale Adult School is a continuing education program that provides enriching curriculum for lifelong learners. Established in 1938, SAS is an independent, not-for-profit organization charted by the New York State Board of Regents. Peruse the entire Fall/Winter 2014 Course Catalog, register on-line today, or make a tax deductible contribution at www.ScarsdaleAdultSchool.org.
The SAS catalog includes courses in history, fine arts, film, literature, music, and religion taught by distinguished faculty from Princeton, NYU, CUNY, and Iona College, among other fine educational institutions. Both day and evening courses have staggered start dates throughout the season. With more than 230 choices this semester, there is something for everyone!
Nourish Your Mind, Body, and Soul While Your Children Are in School!
Plan a Date Night or a Girls’/Boys’ Night Out!
Start a New Hobby!
Highlighted courses include:
- Arts & Crafts: new “hand crafted Fridays” classes as well as beading, book and card making,
collage, drawing, fashion illustration, flower arranging, knitting, macramé, painting, stained glass,
- Book Clubs: The New Yorker, J.R.R. Tolkien, the Book of Exodus, short stories, poetry
- Cooking Lessons: returning instructors America Gonzalez, Marie-Helene Sarfas
- Fitness: stay in shape from A (aerobic hour of power) to Z (zumba) with 20/20/20, body sculpting, fit
blast, MELT®, Walk Live, yoga, and more
- Foreign Languages: French, Italian, Spanish, and now Mandarin
- Games Galore: bridge, canasta, and mah jongg for all levels
- Health/Wellness Classes: mindfulness based stress reduction, meditation, living with ADHD
- History and Politics: Rome, England’s Medieval Theatre, China, jewelry, Ralph Buultjens, Alfred
Hunt, education discussion panel of Thomas Hagerman, Steve Apkon, Dan Benton, and Cheryl Einhorn
- Hobbies and Pastimes: buying and selling on eBay, genealogy, digital photography, tarot
- iWorld: iOS8, iPads, iPhones, iPods, iTunes, iCal, Apple TV, Siri, iCloud, online photo storage
- Museum Exhibit Previews and Guided Tours: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonia, Stone Barns,
Edward Hopper at the Whitney, Henri Matisse at MoMA, Lee Krasner and Norman Lewis at the Jewish
Museum, Andrew Wyeth at the National Gallery, El Greco at the Metropolitan Museum and the Frick
- Music and Music Appreciation: guitar, chorus, the Met’s Live in HD opera series, Beethoven,
Mahler, Messiaen, musical duels between Mozart/Salieri, Chopin/Liszt, Brahms/Wagner, music theory
- Religion: talking turkey with Rabbi Blake, Sukkot shacks and snacks with Rabbi Tucker