|* Children will be copying homework in their Quaker Ridge planner/agenda every school day. After an assignment is completed at home, your child should check the box next to the assignment. Please read your child's planner/agenda each night and initial it every evening showing that each assignment has been completed. If you have any questions or concerns, please be sure to jot me a note in the agenda and I will get in touch with you as soon as possible. Be sure to tell your child to show me the note. |
* Please sign up on sheets for the classroom helper jobs in our classroom at Open House.
* Volunteers for OctoB.E.A.R. (Be Enthusiastic about Reading) - Oct. 21 from 2:15 p.m-2:45 p.m.
* Chaperone Trips: See names under class trips. I will be asking chaperones to meet us at our destination. All children will need to ride the bus.
* Jacob Burns Media Lab Part 1, Thursday, October 16, early morning drop off 8:40 a.m. with peanut/nut and nut oil free bag lunch and drink to stay in school, bus leaves at 8:45 a.m., program is 9:30-11:30 a.m. , return to school at 12:15 p.m. Parents of ____ will be chaperones.
* Jacob Burns Media Lab Part 2, Wednesday, March 17, early morning drop off 8:40 a.m., with peanut/nut and nut oil free bag lunch and drink to stay in school, bus leaves at 8:45 a.m. , program is 9:30-11:30 a.m. , return to school at 12:15 p.m. Parents of _________ will be chaperones.
* Clay Arts Center: May 7- Parents will assist students in making clay tea bowls. Please wear old clothes.
* Volunteer to help with Halloween parade and party Oct. 31 9:15 parade and treat following sing in auditorium, Winter Holiday Treat 12/17 10-11:00 a.m., and Valentine Party 2/13 1:20-1:50 p.m.
* Learning to Look: Teach a work of art with another parent, create a sample to of project to show children, help students complete a related project, help clean up, and return all materials.
* Midnight Run Service Project TBA
- Collection of food
- Help students make sandwiches and hear talk from Midnight Run organization
* Help supervise students and aid with telescope session Astronomy Night TBA. Of course, all families will be bundling up in hats, coats, and gloves to go outside each night in January and February to observe and sketch the moon and constellations with the naked eye and/or binoculars.
* Share your expertise with class
* Make a presentation for Chinese or Indian New Year
* Explain your family history and share photographs, documents, and artifacts with class
* Share your family's celebration and cultural universals at our Dec. holiday treat.* Bring a bag of your various reading materials to share your Readerly Life and explain each one.
* If you have written a book or know a children's author or illustrator to be a guest for our class
* If your occupation relates to our curriculum units such as an ophthalmologist for Health
* Help our studies of Iroquois/Algonquin Native Americans, or Japan.
* Please feel free to offer a suggestion as to how you might contribute.
* Ask students about our visit from a docent from the Bruce Mobile in Greenwich in November. We will view many artifacts that the Native Americans of our area made and used many years ago.
* Be special resources for our Lincoln Center study for performances to be held at SHS. Dates TBA
* Read aloud to your child as much as possible. Read aloud poems, picture books, chapter books, nonfiction books, newspaper and magazine articles. Discuss what you've read with your child. Read your adult books in front of your child. Listen to your child read aloud as you are looking at the words. Have fun visiting the public library to select books.
* Play Scrabble at home as a family. Help your child build a strong vocabulary and understand the meaning of words.
* A special thanks to Room Parents who will be helping to organize holiday parties, reminding chaperones about class trips, reminding parents about conferences, sending emails, and just being there! Thank you all! The children, parents, and I will appreciate everything you're going to be doing!
* A special thanks to all the parents and the children who are going to help wherever there's a need! Thank you everyone!