Welcome to SMS!SMS Membership Toolkit Link - CLICK HEREWe know there has been a lot of information e-mailed to you. As the PTA Executive Committee, we are here to help you sort it out and guide you through the next quarter at SMS. The checklists and links below are intended to provide important details for you and your children, including schedules, Q & A and links!BUY SMS SPRING SPIRITWEAR HERE (ENDS: MAY 9)Links and info for this week
- Monday, May 3, Tuesday, May 4 and Wednesday May 5
- Popham and Fountain House - Music;
- Cooper and Butler House - PE
- Thursday, May 6 and Friday May 7
- Popham and Fountain House - PE;
- Cooper and Butler House - Music
What if I have feedback or questions about SMS?Please click on our Suggestion Box above and share your question or feedback with us, anonymously if you wish. We may not have all the answers, but we promise to try our best and to listen to you––together we can work toward making the school year the best it can be.
Where is the contact info for the House Counselor/Secretary?
Just a friendly reminder to e-mail your child’s House Counselor and House Secretary when your child will be returning to in person learning from a short-term virtual only arrangement. We are so fortunate that SMS allows the flexibility for our students to work from home due to a quarantine, travel, or illness. However, providing as much advance notice as possible helps the teachers plan accordingly and will enable the nurses to monitor EZ Scrn and student absences.
Contact info is below for your convenience:
CHOICE: Ms. Parrott
Where can I find the bell schedules by grade?
We have created some templates that you might want to share with your children to help stay organized. There are daily and weekly planners that you can make a copy in your Google drive and then cut and paste zoom links, in person days, and assignments.
How does my child order lunch?
Please remember to check out the April lunch menus, which are available on Nutrislice. All items are “Grab n Go” for quick and easy pick up. Deli sandwiches are available as a pre-order option only. Sandwiches must be ordered by 8am the day of service. In an effort to remain “cashless,” please remember to check your MySchoolBucks balance to ensure funds are readily available for purchasing.
What are the inclement weather policies for 2021?
Where can I find (Most Recent):
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - April 9, 2021
- 2021-2022 Scarsdale District School Calendar (next year)
- Mental Health at SMS: A Conversation with the House Counselors: Sima Cass and Michael Williams (transcript of the interview) - February 12, 2021
- Student Protocols for Remote and At-Home Learning
- SMS Student Handbook
Where can my child find the Zoom links?This document: “20-21 Zoom Meeting Links” will be helpful as we move ahead in the school year. We encourage you to bookmark it as a resource.
How can I watch (live/replay) of Board of Education Meetings?
- Most Board of Education meetings are held in person in the SHS auditorium (not a Zoom meeting).
- Community members are invited via Zoom for the public comment portion of the meeting - link in the District Calendar
- You can watch live on cable tv at channel 27 (FIOS) and channel 77 (Optimum).
- Live stream can be found at this page: https://www.scarsdaleschools.k12.ny.us/Page/18030. The left hand menu will take you to the live stream and the archive of previous meetings and community forums.
What happens if there is a school closure due to COVID?
SMS has adopted the same schedule in the event of any closure (whether one day or two-plus weeks). This schedule has all cohorts joining together for each class on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday schedule remains the same as always.
*Please note that Monday/Tuesday will continue to be A day classes and Thursday/Friday will continue as B day classes. This is relevant for any class that meets on an alternating day like PE/Music, 6th grade Computer Tech/Library, and 6th grade World Language/Reading.
Where can I find (from Fall and Winter 2020):
- Schoology Parent Presentation - October 16, 2020
- Parent Webinar: Practical Tools and Advice for Successful Learning from Home (Melanie Millard and Emma Wixted) - November 12, 2020
- Presentation with SMS/SHS Mental Health Professionals - Program from November 10, 2020
- 6th Grade Parent Coffee Replay - October 14, 2020
- 7th Grade Parent Coffee Replay - October 21, 2020
- 8th Grade Parent Coffee Replay - October 28, 2020
- The transcript of the PTA Wellness Committee conversation with SMS psychologists Dr. Elliot Cohen and Dr. Merav Hasler about mental health and well-being with a focus on our middle school students.
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - March 5, 2021
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - February 26, 2021
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication (Wednesdays) - February 9, 2021
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - February 7, 2021
- District Welcome Back e-mail (including detail on travel quarantines) dated January 3, 2021
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - November 21, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - November 13, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - October 30, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication Re: Engagement of At-Home Cohort - October 15, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication (open house, parent coffees) - October 12, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - September 25, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - September 16, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - September 15, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - September 14, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Communication - September 11, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's First Day Parent Communication (includes many FAQs) - September 10, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Opening Day Information - September 9, 2020
- Principal Meghan Troy's Parent Letter - September 7th, 2020.
- SMS Student Forum (Q&A for students by administration) - September 2, 2020 for details about the upcoming school year and to hear answers to hundreds of student questions.
- Restart Schedule and Middle School Phased-In Approach sent by the District to all families on Thursday, August 27, 2020
- SMS Restart Plan Parent Forum (Q&A for parents by administration) - August 18, 2020.
- District has launched the Scarsdale Schools' Restart Plan website. Please visit the website to learn more about the District's timeline and planning for the fall.
How do I access the daily health check/EZscrn app?
- You will receive a reminder via e-mail by 6 a.m. to complete the ezSCRN daily health assessment.
- To complete the daily assessment, click here: app.ezSCRN.com or download and use the ezSCRN iOS app . More details can be found here.
Please complete the assessment every day that your child(ren) is/are supposed to be in the building. This should be done if staying home sick, going to a doctor's appointment, coming in late or leaving early, etc. If they are out sick, they will fail the screening.......but that's OK! Only the nurse has access to that information and uses it to track illnesses in our buildings.
After completing Ezscreen, please go to dismissal manager and enter the absence and reason, "sore throat, stomachache, etc". This should be completed by 7:30 AM .
- Paper questionaire can be found here if there is an issue with the app.
Can you explain some of the terms used at SMS (House, Quarterly, Center)?
- A summary of key terms can be found here
What if we have a technical support issue on the iPad?
- In dealing with technical support issues, we ask that students (or parents on a student's behalf) use the dedicated tech support form available as a link from the student iPad home screen. If the device is unusable, the form can be accessed at the following link: https://forms.gle/
What is the procedure if my child will be absent, late, or needs to leave school early?
Where can I join the PTA? (click the question for the link to join)How do I sign up for the "Middle School Matters" e-blast?
- Using School Dismissal Manager with your desktop or smartphone browser, you can quickly and easily communicate to the Middle School your child's early dismissal, absence and late arrival instructions.
- Unlike the elementary schools, It is important to note that SMS does not using this system for end of day dismissal instructions.
- When creating an exception (early dismissal, absence, late arrival) for the current day, please enter the information in the system as early as possible.It is critical to note the time and detailed reason for the exception.Please make sure you choose the correct dismissal option (HOUSE) so that your House office is notified of your exception.
FAQs about SDM:
- Do you have to complete SDM every day, or only in person days?
Parents only need to use SDM for days of absences or early dismissals. This should be for days they are in school only unless they are virtual only. For virtual only students, SDM should be used on their cohort days. When in doubt, please call your child’s house secretary (contact numbers here).
- What if a student is absent on Wednesday/can't attend a Zoom/needs to leave early?
Given the current virtual Wednesday schedule, for now it is best to let the house secretary know if this is the case.
- Should virtual only students be completing SDM also?
Yes, but only on the days their cohort is in person in the building - typically, Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday (unless the week includes a holiday)
- Is there a deadline for reporting absences/early dismissal?
It is very helpful if this can be done as early is possible, but no later than 10:45 am.
Where can I find drop off/pickup procedures and traffic rules?
- Click the "register" button on our Membership Toolkit homepage.
What are House Parents?
- Rules are listed on the check the left hand menu of this website. You can also find them HERE.
The SMS custodians are phenomenal about directing cars and will help you out. Please be courteous, kind, and patient.
All cars enter at the Kelwynne road entrance. The buses veer left toward the back of the school. Parents and caregivers should veer right by the scoreboard. Then you can either go one of two ways around the grassy circle - to the left is the "lower circle" - that will allow your child to enter through the entrance by the gyms. The auditorium is on that level too. If you continue to the right around the circle, the custodians will direct you to the "upper circle".The upper circle is up the hill - it's the main entrance of the school, where the House clases and Great Hall are. It is recommended that 6th graders are dropped off there for the first few weeks as it will be much easier for them to find his homeroom classroom.
How do I subscribe to the SMS PTA Calendar?
This is a new SMS PTA initiative––we are hopeful that this type of parent involvement will help to facilitate a deep sense of community and family engagement during this challenging and complicated year. Being a House Parent is a great way to be involved with SMS during this unusual time and will help to make this year a special one.
If you have any other questions, please email us at: ScarsdaleMiddleSchoolPTA@gmail.com. We look forward to working with you throughout the school year to help make our children's experiences at Scarsdale Middle School exceptionally rewarding.
- To sync the Calendar to an iPhone Calendar:
- Update the App Settings on your iPhone first.
- From iPhone>Settings>Scroll to Membership Toolkit App>Allow membership toolkit to access calendars (Needs to be turned on).
- Then from the Membership Toolkit App>Landing Page>Calendar button>Click on calendar icon in top right corner>Click on Sync to device calendar for each calendar>Subscribe.
The Scarsdale Middle School PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a not-for-profit volunteer organization consisting of parents, teachers and administrators. We are organized and chartered under the authority of the New York State PTA, a branch of the National PTA, and we self-govern under our own local unit bylaws. We are a noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan association dedicated to enhancing the experiences of Scarsdale Middle School students.
The pages listed on the Table of Contents at left provide information about how to join the SMS PTA, our programs, volunteer opportunities, notices, meetings, and other useful information. For most of the events in need of volunteers, there is a link to sign up on the "SMS PTA Committees and Volunteer Opportunities" page. Additional links will be added throughout the year and announced in our Sunday weekly e-blasts.The 2020-21 SMS PTA Executive Committee
Meredith Kent, President
Leah Dembitzer, President Elect
Chris Marks, Secretary
Ophira Cukierman, Treasurer
Kathy Sasaki, VP of Membership and Student Directory
Wendy MacMillan, VP of Programming
Cindy Yau, VP of School Events and Initiatives
Meghan Troy, Principal
Tracie Castaldo, Faculty Liaison
- Monday, May 3, Tuesday, May 4 and Wednesday May 5