WORLD WAR 2: THE EUROPEAN THEATER E-LESSON # 1
THE EASTERN FRONT (part 1) THE NAI INVASION OF THE SOVIET UNION
WHAT WAS THE IMPACT OF THE NAZI INVASION OF THE SOVIET UNION?
II. SECONDARY SOURCE RESEARCH: OPERATION BARBAROSA (June-December 1941)
First watch the Edpuzzle video. Then, use any of the sources provided to answer the questions.
1. When did the Germans invade Russia?
2. What territory did they gain?
3. What resources did these territories have the Nazis wanted?
4. What was the impact on the people in the conquered territory?
5. What was the impact on the Red Army?
6. What stopped the drive of the Blitzkrieg?
III. RESEARCH : SIEGE OF LENINGRAD (Sep 1941-Jan 1944)
First watch the Edpuzzle video. Then, use either of the sources provided to answer the questions
7. How long did the Siege last- when did it start and end?
8. What was the effect on the people of Leningrad? What hardships did they endure? How many died?
9. How did people adapt and try to survive the siege?
10. How were the Soviets able to get supplies to the people of Leningrad?
11. What finally broke the siege?
IV. SECONDARY SOURCE RESEARCH : BATTLE OF MOSCOW October 1941-June 1942)
Use these or any resource at your disposal to answer the following questions
12. Why did the Germans want to capture Moscow? When did they hope to accomplish this by?
13. Why weren't the Germans able to capture Moscow?
14. How did Russian civilians contribute to the defense of Moscow?
15. What was the reaction of Stalin and to the threat of Moscow being captured?
16. What is "Order 227?" Who issued it? When was it issued? Why was it issued?
17. What was the purpose of the Soviet counteroffensive, and how successful was it?
18. How many casualties were there on both sides?
V. SUMMARIZE/REVIEW THE AIM
Write a paragraph addressing the AIM, and answer...
19. How successful was the invasion of the Soviet Union? What was the impact of the invasion for German (what did they gain) and for the Soviets (how did they resist it, and what impact did it have on civilians and soldiers)?