WORLD WAR 2: THE PACIFIC THEATER E-LESSON #5
BATTLE OF SAIPAN/THE MARIANAS ISLANDS CAMPAIGN
I. AIM: WHY WAS THE CAPTURE OF THE MARIANA ISLANDS SO IMPORTANT IN HELPING END THE WAR IN THE PACIFIC? (just read the AIM and think about it as you complete today's tasks)
II. GEOGRPAHY TASK: LOCATE THE MARIANA ISLANDS! Be resourceful!
1. What are the Mariana Islands? Where are the Mariana Islands?
2. What source did you use to find the answer?
III. SECONDARY SOURCE: use this website to answer the following: http://drhiltonexpeditions.ucsd.edu/marianas/history/wwii.html
3. What did the Japanese use Saipan for right after Pearl Harbor and the first couple of years of the war?
4. Why did the Americans want to capture Saipan and the Mariana islands?
5. When was the Battle of Saipan?
6. What were the casualties of the Battle of Saipan, for American and Japanese soldiers, and civilians?
7. What did Americans build on Saipan after they captured it?
IV. INFOGRAPHICS : BOMBER RANGE MAPS (attached, below)
9. Compare the two infographics below. What is the topic of both of them?
10. How are the infographic similar? How are they different?
11. What do they demonstrate about the importance of the Mariana Islands to American strategy in winning the war in the Pacific?
12. Why was the capture of the Mariana Islands so important in helping end the war in the Pacific?
~THANK YOU FOR COMPLETING TODAY'S E-LESSON! E-XCELLENT WORK! ~