WORLD WAR 2: THE PACIFIC THEATER
ISLAND HOPPING E-LESSON #5: THE BATTLE OF IWO JIMA
I. AIM: WHAT WAS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE BATTLE OF IWO JIMA?
What was unique about the way it was fought, and what was the impact of this battle?
(just read the AIM and think about it-- and set your intention to learn!)
II. EDPUZZLE VIDEO THE BATTLE OF IWO JIMA
III. SECONDARY SOURCE IWO JIMA SCAVENGER HUNT. Okay so I’m trying to make it sound fun by calling it a scavenger hunt, but basically this means that today, you have to be a little resourceful. Rather than one article with corresponding questions, you can find the answers to each one of the questions in the sources provided. If you need to/want to look outside these sources, feel free to.
There are two main articles you can use today.
__· From History.com: https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-iwo-jima
1. What was the importance of Iwo Jima to the Americans? Why did they want to capture it?
2. When was the Battle of Iwo Jima?
3. Where is Iwo Jima? What country or territory is it a part of?
4. How well-defended was Iwo Jima? What kind of defenses were there?
5. What kind of island is Iwo Jima? What is the terrain like?
6. What did the US do before the actual invasion to soften up Imperial Japan's defenses?
How effective was this?
7. Why did the Japanese troops wait to open fire on the Marines who landed there?
8. What famous event happened on top of Mount Suribachi?
9. What were the U.S. casualties at Iwo Jima? How does that compare to other campaigns?
IV. PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: PHOTO-RAISINGTHE FLAG ON IWO JIMA
10. Briefly analyze the iconic photograph of the flag-raising at Iwo Jima. (see below, a copy of the photo is attacehd) For today just stick to
- Observation: What people/action/objects do you notice? How is the picture composed?
- Information: What do you know about of the photograph? (context, history, etc)
- Inference/Imagination: (optional). What can we deduce? What could you imagine about anything
- in the photo?
- Impression: what’s your reaction to this photo? What does it make you feel/think?
V. SUMMARIZE/ REFLECT: write a short summary of what you’ve learned today. (around three sentences would be fine)
11. Why was Iwo Jima such an important battle? What was significant or unusual about the way it was fought?
Optional: As in you don't have to look at any of this unless you are totally geeking out on WW2 like Mr Goodman is~ For World War 2 buffs only!
- From the US Marine Corps film archive "Stunning Footage: Marines smoke Japanese soldiers from caves". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra2aOsQcIew
- 1945 news reel footage, famous newsman Edward R Murrow narrates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPkDEQP7GiY
- also, here's a clip from the 2006 Clint Eastwood movie "Flags of Our Fathers" showing the beach landing on Iwo Jima. It's a clip from a war movie so don't watch it if that bothers you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkdfHvh_wtg not a primary source but awesome scene, you can see the hidden artillery and machine gun emplacements, and also shows some of the underground tunnels.
Other good (optional) resources that give an excellent, more condensed overview
- Iwo Jima and Okinawa: Death at Japan’s Doorstep https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/iwo-jima-and-okinawa-death-japans-doorstep also, PDF of this article is posted below if you want to print it and annotate it. (optional)