WORLD WAR 2 THE PACIFIC E-LESSON #2: THE US TURNS THE TIDE
AIM: HOW DID AMERICANS STOP THE ADVANCES OF IMPERIAL JAPAN IN 1942, AND GAIN THE ADVANTAGE IN THE WAR IN THE PACIFIC?
I. THE DOLITTLE RAID READ the secondary source, posted here Dolittle Raid infographic . The infographic I posted is optional to look at but very cool. Answer….
1. What was the Doolitle Raid? What did it accomplish?
2. How did it change Japanese strategy in the Pacific?
II. SECONDARY SOURCE. BATTLE OF CORAL SEA (May 1942) READ the following short article from history channel. https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-coral-sea and answer the following:
3. What is the significance about the outcome of the Battle of Coral on the Japanese advance in the Pacific?
4. How did the outcome of the battle impact Japanese plans to invade Australia?
III. EDPUZZLE VIDEO: BATTLE OF MIDWAY (JUNE 1942) follow this link and complete the questions embedded in the video
IV. SECONDARY SOURCE: BATTLE OF MIDWAY (JUNE 1942) READING/QUESTIONS
Read the article https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-midway. The article contains photographs from the battle. Please take a moment to look at these primary sources!
Based on what you learned from the article and the edpuzzle video, answer:
5. Why is the Battle of Midway considered the turning Point in the war in the Pacific?
6. What was the Japanese plan to attack Midway? What diversion did they plan to use to help them capture it?
7. How was code breaking such a critical factor in the US winning the battle?
8. What was impact of the Battle of Midway for both the Americans and the Japanese? Why is it considered a turning point in the Pacific Theater of World War 2?
V. SUMMARIZE: write a one paragraph summary of what you’ve learned today.
9. How did Americans stop the advance of Imperial Japan, and gain the strategic advantage?
Want to learn more about the Doolittle Raid? Watch this video below! (totally optional. Cool but optional!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL8lnAMh4AU