AIM: HOW DID THE WORLD WAR 2 IN THE PACIFIC START? HOW SUCCESSFUL WAS JAPAN IN THEIR BEGINNING OFFENSIVES OF THE WAR?
I. WATCH the PACIFIC THEATER ANIMATED MAP video and answer…. CLICK HERE FOR THE ANIMATED PACIFIC THEATER MAP MOVIE CLIP
1. How successful were the initial Japanese offensives of expansion in the Pacific? What territory did they gain?
II. WATCH the SimpleHistory video PEARL HARBOR. SIMPLE HISTORY: PEARL HARBOR Answer these questions:
2. When was Pearl Harbor? What happened? What were the US casualties?
3. What was the impact/effect of the Pearl Harbor attack on the U.S.?
III. WATCH THE BATTLE OF WAKE ISLAND
IV. Primary Source: Look at the pictures on Pearl Harbor posted on this article: 19 Unforgettable Images From the Pearl Harbor Attack 78 Years Ago https://www.businessinsider.com/pearl-harbor-attack-2014-12 Pick TWO of the images and answer:
4. Which image did you pick? What do you find interesting, informative or compelling
about these two images?
V. THE FALL OF THE PHILLPPINES. Read the attached article and answer Fall of the Philippines Article
5. What was the relationship between the U.S. and the Philippines before WW2?
6. What territories near the Philippines did Japan seize control of?
7. How did the U.S. plan to protect the Philippines from a possible invasion from Japan? (who did
they have there to protect it, what supplies or equipment did they send there, etc)
8. How big was the US force in the Philippines on the verge of it being invaded? In addition to US
soldiers, what did it include (equipment, militia, etc)
9. When did Japan first strike against the U.S. forces in the Philippines? What did they attack with?
10. What did US troops do when Japanese troops entered Manilla? How did the Japanese finally
defeat the US forces there?
11. What was the Bataan Death March?
VI. SUMMARIZE: write a one paragraph summary answering:
12. How successful were the initial Japanese offensives of expansion in the Pacific? What territory did they