WORLD WAR 2: THE PACIFIC THEATER E-LESSON #11: ATOMIC ATTACKS AGAINST JAPAN (part 2)
I. AIM: (continued from yesterday’s lesson)
HOW DID THE U.S. ATTACK JAPAN WITH ATOMIC WEAPONS? WHAT WAS THE IMPACT OF THESE ATTACKS?
II. PRIMARY SOURCE
“Leaflet Dropped over Japan, 1945 ”
Primary Source document, attached here CLICK HERE FOR "LEAFLET DROPPED OVER JAPAN 1945"
Read and answer:
- According to the secondary source description at the beginning, why did the US drop leaflets?
- How does the leaflet describe what the Americans now have in their possession?
- What does the leaflet tell people who doubt the Americans’ claim to do?
- What does the flyer urge the Japanese people to do? If they do not do this, what will the Americans do?
III. PRIMARY SOURCE:
“Surviving the Atomic Attack on Hiroshima”
account of Dr. Michihiko Hachyia, Hiroshima survivor
view the article on Eyewitnesstohistory.com website with this link: Surviving the Attack on Hiroshima (1945)
Read & answer:
- what were some of the vivid details that the author recalls that struck/impressed you?
- What injuries did the author get?
- why did the author and his wife get separated? How did this make the author feel?
- How does the author describe some of the other survivors he encountered or saw?
- What’s your reaction to the story? You might answer this question a number of ways, possible considering-- what feeling does it leave you with? What questions were you left with? What part of the story did you particularly respond to or impressed you?
III PRIMARY SOURCE: ORAL HISTORIES (Edpuzzle video). ( Click here for the public version of this Edpuzzle) Scarsdale Students: LOG DIRECTLY INTO EDPUZZLE TO COMPLETE
“Harrowing Accounts from Hiroshima Survivors”.
from the Smithsonian Channel
IV SUMMARIZE/ REFLECT on the AIM:
10. How did the U.S. use atomic weapons against Japan? What was the impact of these attacks, on the cities that were attacked, on civilians, and on the entire war?