WORLD WAR 2: THE PACIFIC THEATER E-LESSON #12:
END OF THE WAR IN THE PACIFIC
HOW DID WORLD WAR IN THE PACIFIC END?
WATCH THIS QUICK INTRODUCTION FIRST!
II. SECONDARY SOURCE
“Japan Surrenders, Bringing and End to World War 2”
from the History.com
view on website with this link: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japan-surrenders
Read and Answer:
1. What was the military situation in the War in the Pacific in the summer of 1945?
2. What was Operation Olympic? What were the casualties estimated to be for this operation?
3. What was the Potsdam Declaration? What was Japan’s initial reaction to it?
4. How did things get even worse for Japan after the bombing at Hiroshima?
5. What were the Japanese insistent on about the Emperor’s power? What was the American response to this?
6. When and where was the surrender ceremony? What ship was chosen to be the site of the official surrender ceremony? Why do you think they choose that ship?
7. Who signed first? What did this person’s aides do as he signed?
8. Who signed it after the Americans?
9. What do you think MacArthur meant when he said this at the ceremony?
”It is my earnest hope and indeed the hope of all mankind that from this solemn occasion a better world shall emerge out of the blood and carnage of the past.”
III. PRIMARY SOURCE (Edpuzzle Video).
Here's the public version of this link click here for the public version of this Edpuzzle. Scarsdale Students, make sure do it on the embedded version below or log into Edpuzzle for credit)
“Footage of the Moment Japan Surrenders on the USS Missouri,
Tokyo Bay September 2, 1945 ”
from the Smithsonian
IV SUMMARIZE/REFLECT ON THE AIM: (one paragraph)
10. How did World War 2 in the Pacific end? Describe the military situation for Japan in August of 1945, up to their official surrender.
~THANK YOU FOR COMPLETEING TODAY’S E-LESSON AND THE LAST E-LESSON ON THE WAR IN THE PACIFIC!