Scarsdale Board of Education Goals, 2021-22
and Primary Objectives
- To support the District’s mission and vision during the pandemic while keeping staff and students safe; and
- To work on continuous improvement of Board functioning and effectiveness. The Board will work to meet the following primary objectives in line with these goals, pivoting as necessary during a year where flexibility remains important.
- Advocacy: Participate in legislative advocacy impacting public education via efforts identified by the Board or suggested by our Administration or coordinated by New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA), Westchester Putnam School Boards Association (WPSBA), and the Lower Hudson Education Coalition (LHEC).
- Board Development/Education: Participate in professional development and other educational opportunities as per Policy #0105: Equity, Inclusivity, and Diversity in Education.
- Budgeting: Support and participate in a rational and effective budgeting process for the 2021-22 school year, ongoing financial planning, and multi-year budgeting efforts.
- Collective Bargaining: Support and participate in the collective bargaining of two contracts (MADSA and Scarsdale Custodial, Grounds & Maintenance Unit).
- Communication/Community Engagement: Foster communication and transparency and affirm community values through support and review of the opportunities identified in the Board Community Engagement Plan. Oversee and manage the Board Community Engagement Plan.
- Evaluation: Conduct evaluations of the Board and Superintendent according to Policies 0310 and 0320.
- Onboarding: Develop materials and processes to assist with onboarding new Board members.
- Ongoing District Work Support ongoing District work on the Strategic Plan; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Safety, Security, and Emergency Management; capital projects, and facilities planning.
- Policy Work: Continue reviewing and updating Board policies in the 1000 and 2000 tranches.
- Teaching and Learning: Support ongoing curricular and teaching and learning goals, focusing on standards set out in the New York State Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework.