Research one of three selected Trench Warfare battles in World War 1 and present your findings in an informal presentation.
1. Start by everyone in the group watching the Simple History video about your battle. (see links below) (3-4 minutes)
2. Research the Battle you have been assigned. Use the Battle Analysis Worksheet (attached) to help you research--you don't have to complete every question, it is just there to guide your thinking). Resources are provided below. Each individual group member doesn't have to review every source, but you should split up the resouces so different group members are using different sources. (20 minuntes). Leave a few minutes to discuss who will be speaking for the group.
3. SHARE YOUR FINDINGS WITH THE CLASS. What did you think you is significant or important about this battle. What's the takeaway? What are the top 3 or 4 facts of concepts everyone should know about this battle? (presentations: 5-7 min each)
As part of your presentation
- show the Simple History video on your battle
- Create a headline about the article and present your findings to the class and a lead paragraph to a news story. (a paragraph summarizing the action and main idea).
4. Take notes on the other presentations in the space provided on page 5 of your class notes packet.
Battle of the Somme: resources
Battle of Verdun: resources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdihcCMAuE8 . (The Great War series)
Battle of Passchendaele: resources