Welcome to 7th Grade Exploring Music!
In this class we will explore the music symbol system through learning basic pitch and rhythm fundamentals. We will learn how to apply what is learned through performance and composition using keyboards (piano), percussion instruments, and acoustic guitars. We will also develop and use technology skills to create music on Sibelius, a computer notation program.
We will explore and discover the music of various cultures around the world, including the music of your heritage.
The Following Essential Questions will be explored
· How is music part of your life and culture as well as other cultures?
- What are my learning obligations in General Music?
· What is the music symbol system and how do we use it?
· What are the elements of music?
· What relationship do the elements of music have to each other?
· How does a composer create musical meaning/feeling?
- What is the process by which a musician prepares a piece of music for performance?
- How does music relate to other academic subjects?
Students must bring the following supplies to class daily.
- Pencil(s) and Pen (Students will be given a folder in class, and I would recommend bringing in and keeping a few pens and pencils in this Exploring Music folder.)
- Manuscript Book (music paper book)
- Be on time. Arriving late is disruptive.
- Respect each other by demonstrating polite and courteous behavior.
- Come to class prepared with proper supplies.
- Do not chew gum in class or bring any liquid or food near the technology