Welcome to Raider Boys' TennisThis spring, Scarsdale High School will field three Boys' Tennis teams:
- Varsity A is for the top tennis players, regardless of grade-level.
- Varsity B is for athletes that have a playing background on JV and want to continue their tennis careers.
- JV is for freshmen and sophomores to develop their skills and capabilities.
Gold CardsSubmit all Gold Card paperwork to the SHS Nurse before February 25, 2019 to insure that the Gold Card can be issued prior to the start of tryouts.TryoutsTryouts begin on March 13, 2019 (weather permittting) and players must have their completed gold card from the school nurse. Information on how to get a gold card can be found atUPDATED 3/14/19Varsity A and Varsity B tryouts will take place at the High School (location may change) per the following schedule:
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday immediately after school at the High School until 6:00 pm
- Thursday and Friday immediately after school at the Middle School until 6:00 pm. Athletes can take a bus one way from the High School to the Middle School. The bus leaves at 3:10 pm on Thursday and 2:15 pm on Friday.
JV tryouts will take place at the Middle School (location may change). Athletes can take a bus one way from the High School to the Middle School. Tryout times are as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the Middle School from 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
- Thursday and Friday immediately after school at the High School until 6:00 pm.
Each player needs to have two tennis rackets, one can of tennis balls and plenty of water.Players are expected to be present at all tryout sessions. Missing sessions will be incorporated into the coach's evaluation of players for the Varsity team.Tryouts consist of assessments of individual tennis skills. Varsity A & B players should be able to utilize dependable stokes with directional control using a variety of speeds and spins. Players should have good shot anticipation, as well as, the ability to hit winners or force errors. Can execute lobs, drop shots, overheads and has a well developed second serve. JV level players should be developing their consistency and footwork. Players should be able to maintain a backcourt rally as they further develop their strokes while also working on placement, direction and ball control.The coaching staff also tests the athletes for general athleticism.Players are also evaluated on their cooperation with other players and their ability to take direction from the coaching staff.
Preseason PracticeA Google calendar will be shared with the team and parents listing the practice and game times and dates.Varsity A and B Practice:Monday through Friday immediately after school until 6 pm at the High SchoolJV Practice:Monday through Friday from 3:30 pm-6:00 pm at the Middle School.Athletes can take a bus one way from the High School to the Middle School.There will be no practice during spring break week.
Boys' Tennis is a commitment of about 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week and occasional Saturday games and competitions. It is our expectation that athletes will be present for all team tryouts, scrimmages, practices, games and tournaments.
The regular season ends in late May for all teams.
Varsity is then eligible for post-season play.
For additional information please contact:
Jen Roane: email@example.com