Reading Comprehension Strategies
Increase Reading Comprehension
1) Connect new knowledge to prior knowledge. Try to make a connection with what you already know.
2) Review and rethink at designated points in your reading. Test yourself to see if you understand the material. Ask yourself questions.
3) Summarize what you’ve read by rephrasing the material in your own words.
4) Change bold, highlighted items and headings into questions. Use specific details to answer the questions.
5) Read material aloud and in small segments. Test yourself to see if you understand the material. Ask yourself questions.
6) Work with a partner and test your knowledge of the material you’ve read.