Welcome to Raider Girls' TennisThis fall, Scarsdale High School will field three Girls' Tennis teams:
- Varsity is for the top tennis players, regardless of grade-level.
- Varsity B is for athletes that have a playing background on JV and want to continue their tennis careers.
- JV is for freshmen and sophomores to develop their skills and capabilities.
(Note: The JV team is dependent upon having enough girls to field this team.)
UPDATED 8/20/19TryoutsTryouts begin on August 21, 2019 at 9:00am and players must have their completed gold card from the school nurse. Information on how to get a gold card can be found atVarsity A and Varsity B tryouts will take place at the High School per the following schedule:
- Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 9 am-12 pm
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 from 8:30am-12pm
- Friday, August 23, 2019 from 8:30am-12pm
- Monday, August 26, 2019 8:30am-12pm
- Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:30am-12pm
- Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:30am-12pm
- Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:30am-12pm
- Friday, August 30, 2019 8:30am-12pm
Players need to be at all of the above dates. Players need to bring a can of tennis balls, 2 tennis rackets and water.
JV tryouts will take place at the HIGH School per the following schedule:
Teams will be established on or before Saturday, August 31.Players are expected to be present at all tryout sessions. Missing sessions will be incorporated into the coach's evaluation of players for the Varsity team.Tryouts consist of assessments of individual tennis skills such as:
- Friday, August 23, 2019 from 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Monday, August 26, 2019 TBD
- Tuesday, August 27, 2019 TBD
- Wednesday, August 28, 2019 TBD
- Thursday, August 29, 2019 TBD
- Friday, August 30, 2019 TBD
- Forehand and backhand
- Serving (Differences between the flat serve and spin serve and differences between 1st and 2nd serves.
- Poaching, net play, serve and volley
- Doubles strategy, footwork and communication on the court
- Good court sense
- Good pace off the ball
Varsity A & B players should be able to utilize dependable stokes with directional control using a variety of speeds and spins. Players should have good shot anticipation, as well as, the ability to hit winners or force errors. Players can execute lobs, drop shots, overheads and have a well-developed second serve.
JV level players should be developing their consistency and footwork. Players should be able to maintain a backcourt rally as they further develop their strokes while also working on placement, direction and ball control.The coaching staff also tests the athletes for general athleticism.Players are also evaluated on their cooperation with other players and their ability to take direction from the coaching staff.
Preseason PracticeVarsity A, Varsity B and JV practice is from Monday through Friday after school, time TBD. A calendar will be shared with the team and parents listing the practice and game times and dates.
Tennis is a commitment of about 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week and occasional Saturday games. It is our expectation that athletes will be present for all team tryouts, scrimmages, practices, games, and tournaments.
The regular season ends in late October for all teams.
Varsity is then eligible for post-season play.
For additional information please contact:
Jen Roane: email@example.com