Girls' Soccer Program
Varsity Coach: Mindy Genovese, email@example.com
Varsity Assistant Coach: Kiera Fox, firstname.lastname@example.org
Varsity B Coach: Priscilla Portilla, email@example.com
Varsity B Coach Assistant: Michael Kumaresan, firstname.lastname@example.org
JV Coach: Danielle Garcia, email@example.com
JV Coach Assistant: Fran Lombardo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Raider Girls' SoccerThis fall, Scarsdale High School will field three Girls' Soccer teams:
- Varsity is for the top soccer players, regardless of grade-level.
- Varsity B is primarily for juniors and seniors who have a playing background on JV and want to continue their soccer careers.
- JV is for freshmen and sophomores to develop their skills and capabilities to prepare for Varsity.
(Note: The JV team is dependent upon having enough girls to field this team.)
TryoutsTryouts begin on August 19, 2019 at 10:00 am and players must have their completed gold card from the school nurse. Information on how to get a gold card can be found atTryouts will take place on Scout Field, 37 Wayside Lane, Scarsdale for all levels per the following schedule:
- Monday, August 19, 2019 at 10:00 am, meet at SHS Track, then from 2:00 pm-4:00 pm at Scout Field
- Tuesday, August 20, 2019 from 8:00 am-11:00 am at Scout Field
- Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 8:00 am-9:30, then from 2:00 pm-3:30-pm at Scout Field
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 from 8:00 am-11:00 am at Scout Field
- Friday, August 23, 2019 from 8:00 am-11:00 am at Scout Field
Players should bring cleats, sneakers, shin guards, size 5 ball and water.Players are expected to be present at all tryout sessions. Missing sessions will be incorporated into the coach's evaluation of players for the Varsity team.
Tryouts consist of assessments of individual soccer skills. Player tryout evaluation is based on the following:
- Physical criteria including quickness, speed, endurance, strength, power, and agility.
- Technical criteria including receiving in the air and on the ground, dribbling, passing, shooting, heading, and crossing.
- Tactical criteria including use of space, changing direction/point of attack, creativity, vision, defending, and attacking.
- Psychological criteria including winning 50/50 balls in the air and on the ground, composure, taking risks, perseverance, coachability, team player mentality, and responding to mistakes.
- The coaching staff also tests the athletes for general athleticism.
Players are also evaluated on their cooperation with other players and their ability to take direction from the coaching staff.
Preseason PracticeTeam practices begin on Saturday, 8/24/19. A calendar will be shared with the team and parents listing the practice and game times and dates.Varsity A, Varsity B and JV Practice:Saturday, 8/24/19 practice time TBDSunday, 8/25/19 OFFMonday, 8/26/19 Scrimmage at CrotonTuesday, 8/27/19 Practice TBDVarsity B Practice:TBDJV Practice:TBD
Soccer is a commitment of about 2.5 hours per day, 6 days a week and occasional Saturday practices, games and competitions. It is our expectation that athletes will be present for all team tryouts, scrimmages, practices, and games.
The regular season ends in late October for all teams.
Varsity A is then eligible for post-season play.
For additional information please contact:
Melissa Genovese: email@example.com