Varsity Coach: Lauren Barton, email@example.com
Varsity Assistant Coach: Sarah Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org
Varsity B Coach: Muhommad Ali, email@example.com
JV Coach: Margaret Bryant, firstname.lastname@example.org
JV Assistant Coach: Amanda Borbee, email@example.com
Welcome to Raider Girls' Field HockeyThis fall, Scarsdale High School will field two Field Hockey teams:
- Varsity is for the top field hockey players, regardless of grade-level.
- JV is for freshmen and sophomores to develop their skills and capabilities.
(Note: The JV team is dependent upon having enough girls to field this team.)
TryoutsIn order to tryout, players must have their completed gold card from the school nurse. Information on how to get a gold card can be found atTryouts will take place at SHS for all levels as indicated on the field hockey calendar.*Times may change due to weather, heat index, etc.Players should bring turf shoes, sneakers, field hockey sticks, shin guards, mouth guards, goggles, and water.Players are expected to be present at all tryout sessions. Missing sessions will be incorporated into the coach's evaluation of players for the Varsity team.
Tryouts consist of assessments of individual field hockey skills and field hockey team play.
Player tryout evaluation is based on the following:
- Physical criteria including quickness, speed, explosiveness, endurance, strength, power, and agility.
- Technical criteria including stickwork, passing, receiving, hitting (flick, drive, sweep, etc.), shooting, footwork, elimination and tackling skills.
- Tactical criteria including use of decision making, anticipation, field vision, space, changing direction/point of attack, creativity, defending, and attacking.
- Attitude/mental preparation/psychological criteria including mental toughness and concentration, perseverance, patience, commitment, composure, risk taking, accepting challenge, coachability, team player mentality, acceptance of constructive criticism.
The coaching staff also tests the athletes for general athleticism.Players are also evaluated on their cooperation with other players and their ability to take direction from the coaching staff.
Field Hockey is a commitment of about 3 hours per day, 6 days a week and occasional Saturday games or practices. It is our expectation that athletes will be present for all team tryouts, scrimmages, practices, games, and tournaments.
For additional information please contact:
Lauren Barton: firstname.lastname@example.org