Welcome to Mrs. Windwer's Reading Page
As a reading specialist, I provide supplemental reading support to first grade students in addition to their classroom reading instruction. My program is designed to help accelerate student ability within the five areas of reading: phonemic awareness, decoding, fluency, writing and vocabulary. My program is designed to provide strong and fast paced, daily, small group instruction for students. Playing games, singing sight word songs, and recording our reading are often part of our daily fun!
Fountas and Pinnell's Leveled Literacy Intervention ( LLI)
I use Leveled Literacy Intervention with my learners. LLI is a research based program that is designed for small group, specialized instruction. Our groups are made up of three students and one teacher. The small group ratios give me the opportunity to tailor lessons to each reader's specific needs.
Key Features of an LLI Lesson
- A combination of reading, writing, phonics, and word study
- Emphasis on comprehension strategies
- Attention to fiction and nonfiction texts features
- Specific work on sounds, letters, and words in activities designed to help children notice the details of written language and how language works
- Vocabulary building
- Explicit teaching for fluency and phrased reading