Heathcote After School Clubs ProgramInformation, Policies and ProceduresPrerequisites
- Your family must be a current member (this school year) of the Heathcote PTA in order for your child(ren) to be enrolled in ASC. Click HERE to register for the PTA.
- Any outstanding balances with the PTA must be paid before the commencement of ASC.
ASC is not affiliated with the Scarsdale School District proper, and so any special services and accommodations provided by the District during regular instructional hours are not available during after-school programming.
Medications and Emergency Contact Information
- Please note––no medical personnel are on site during club hours. There is no nurse on duty after 3:10 PM and the medical office is locked. Medications left in the nurse's office are not accessible after 3:10 PM. Any child old enough to self-medicate must have a signed letter from his/her doctor, and must carry his/her own medication.
- Children who are unable to self-medicate must have a parent or caretaker available at the after school program site to assist them in case of an emergency.
- ASC provides chaperones during club hours. Our chaperones take attendance, aid students and instructors during club hours and monitor club dismissals. Chaperones have a first aid kit to handle minor injuries. In an emergency, the chaperones or instructors will notify the parents and call 911. Please make sure we have updated emergency contact information on your ASC Student Information form, on file in the school office, and on our online SchoolBee Directory.
Registration, Payment and Refunds
- Registration for ASC is not on a “first-come, first-served” basis.
- We hope to accommodate all students registered, but there is a maximum enrollment size for each club. In the event a club is oversubscribed, we will use a blind lottery system for all children registered.
- Registration is available online through PayPal. To register, click on the Spring 2019 - Club Registration link on the left-hand menu.
- The email address you provide throughout registration (on the Student Information Form and in Paypal) is the address that will be used for all club related emails.
- In the event that a student is closed out of a club, we will contact you to determine whether you prefer to receive your money back, or enroll in a different club that is available.
- If the minimum number for enrollment is not met, a club may be canceled. In this case, you may select an alternative club, or request a refund.
- Once clubs have been finalized, the rosters will be emailed to the address you provided at the time of registration.
- Please note that no refunds will be issued after a club session has started. At the discretion of the PTA, only one change of a club per child will be considered during the time period after completion of such child's PayPal registration through the first week of a session, subject to availability. In no event will the PTA consider more than one request to change a club per child, and no request for any change may be made after the first week of a session. If the newly selected club's enrollment fee is more than the original, the difference must be paid. No refunds will be issued if the newly selected club's enrollment fee is less than the original.
ASC Financial Aid
Families may inquire about financial assistance for ASC by contacting the Heathcote Medical Office. Please be assured that these requests will remain confidential.
Clubs Meeting Dates and Times
- All clubs begin at 3:15 PM and end at 4:15 PM.
- Clubs dates vary to accommodate holiday/school schedules, so please check the ASC calendar carefully.
- Clubs generally do not meet on conference days or noon dismissal days.
Getting to Clubs
Heathcote classroom teachers in Grades K-5 have daily dismissal procedures. We use our club rosters, but also depend on your dismissal form and notes from home to inform and facilitate proper dismissal. Kindergarten students are escorted each day by ASC chaperones who meet them in the K-Wing and walk them to their respective club locations. First Grade classroom teachers guide their students to clubs. Students in Grades 2-5 are reminded of their club commitments, but it is the responsibility of each child to travel from classroom to club location on his/her own.
- Both club instructors and chaperones take attendance to ensure that all children are at their assigned clubs.
- If your child is at school but is NOT going to a club, please inform the classroom teacher with a note so she/he will be aware of the dismissal change. We depend upon this information to reconcile daily club attendance with classroom teachers' daily dismissal instructions and bus lists.
Food and Beverages
- You may send your child to school on club days with a nut-free small snack and/or beverage to enjoy before clubs begin, as neither food nor beverages are provided.
- Prior to the start of clubs, students are permitted to enjoy their beverages/snacks away from the club activity area, and then must dispose of trash and clean hands before beginning club activity. Children are familiar with this practice, as it is similar to what occurs during the school day.
Dismissal and Pickup
- All clubs end promptly at 4:15 PM. Please be on time to pick up your child.
- Please respect the Heathcote traffic regulations: 5 mph speed limit within school grounds and no parking in the traffic circle.
- All doors will be locked until dismissal at 4:15 PM, with aides present in the area next to the auditorium.
- At 4:15 PM, parents will be permitted to enter the school through "Door 3" only. Heathcote's back entrance will not be open.
- Parents will be required to stay in front of the auditorium to wait for their children to come to them; parents are asked not to go to their child's club location.
- We have asked all instructors to escort their classes to the auditorium area for pick-up.
- If your child will be going home with another adult, please send a written, signed note to inform the ASC chaperones and authorize this.
- If your child has permission to walk home, please submit written authorization to the ASC chaperones. Only students with written permission will be dismissed without an adult escort.
Weather Issues and Cancellations
- If school is closed all-day or early due to inclement weather, there will be no clubs. The District's phone system will alert you of any school or District-wide closing. We will endeavor to hold a make-up session when a club is cancelled due to inclement weather, but it is not always possible. No refunds will be given for weather cancellations.
- After school activities are sometimes canceled due to inclement weather, even when school was in session during the day. The District makes these decisions, sometimes quite close to the end of the school day. In this case, the District's phone system will alert you of a school or District-wide cancellation. It is NOT possible for the ASC committee to call each family enrolled.
- Individual instructor cancellation: In the event of an unforeseen cancellation (i.e., instructor illness) every effort will be made to contact families as soon as we are aware of the cancellation. If necessary, our chaperones are available to supervise children until the scheduled 4:15 PM pickup time.
Responding to Disruptive Behavior
For the safety and enjoyment of all children in ASC, appropriate behavior is required. Appropriate behavior is that consistent with proper behavior expected in any classroom at the Heathcote Elementary School. At the discretion of the club instructor, a child displaying disruptive or inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave the club and sit with an ASC chaperone until 4:15 PM dismissal. Parents will receive an incident report signed by the instructor. Children who receive a second disruptive behavior report will be required to withdraw from that club for that semester. No refunds will be given in this case. A child may be removed from a club at any time at the discretion of the PTA.