The following goals are directly from the Scarsdale School District's curriculum.Mathematics
In fifth grade, students learn:
- numbers and place values to 1,000,000,000
- multiplying and dividing by powers of ten
- factors and multiples
- division with two- and three- digit numbers
- fractions (comparing, fractions of a set, adding and subtracting with unlike denominator, multiplying, dividing)
- area and perimeter of regualr and irregular shapes
- volume of rectangular prisms
In our classroom, Primary Mathematics from Singapore is the program used to address these math goals. Math in Focus is also a supplemental math program is used to support and enhance student learning opportunities.
Primary Mathematics (Standards Edition) is a complete program based on the highly successful Primary Mathematics series from Singapore. Designed to equip students with a strong foundation in mathematics, topics are covered in depth and taught to mastery. By focusing on mathematical understanding, the program aims to help students develop logical thinking and critical lifelong problem solving skills. This program focuses on mathematical thinking with immediate application of new skills to problem solving. By encouraging students to solve problems in a variety of ways, this program stretches the mind and promotes an understanding of the way mathematical processes work.
– Singapore Math