8th Grade Exploring Music
Mr. Boniello, Mr. Brewster, and Mrs. Cuk
Welcome to 8th Grade Exploring Music!
For your final year of Exploring Music at the Middle School, we’ve planned many different units that will enable you to experience music through composing/arranging, playing keyboard and percussion instruments, and examining the development of song.
Here is a breakdown of the coming year:
1. Piano Unit
· Improvise and compose original works
· Review notation
· Develop keyboard skills
· Perform original works and works of others
2. Orff Ensembles and Drumming
· Learn to perform as an ensemble using Orff and other percussion instruments
· Continue the journey through the World Music Drumming curriculum
3. History of Song
· Travel through history and trace the development of song as we know it today
· Activities will include composing a 12-bar blues piece and researching an influential artist.
4. Film Scoring
· By listening and watching various film clips, students will discover how film scoring has advanced from its beginnings to present day.
· Students will create original scores for short film clips.
· How can technology interact with our musical experiences?
· Why is musical notation important? How has musical notation developed throughout history?
· What skills are needed to play a musical instrument (electric guitar, piano, percussion), and how can we practice and perfect them?
· How has the development of song been influenced by changes in culture?
· What qualities must a musician possess in order to be considered influential?
· How does music portray meaning, emotion, themes, and ideas?
· How can we create music to reflect themes, ideas, passions, concepts, and styles?
· How is music related to other arts and subject areas?
- Pencil, Pen and Paper (Students will be given a folder in class, and, we would recommend bringing in and keeping a few pens and pencils in this Exploring Music folder.)
- Arrive on time for class. Arriving late is disruptive, and you will miss pertinent class information.
- Respect each other by demonstrating polite and courteous behavior at all times, including during group and cooperative learning and instrument use.
- Come to class prepared with all supplies and materials.
- Do not chew gum in class or bring any liquid or food near the technology.
Exploring Music Quarterly Rubric
Prepares for class with pen and pencil, folder/envelope, additional class materials as necessary, and homework when assigned
Completes all class projects/activities with a high attention to detail; demonstrates commitment to quality in all work; reflects on, assesses, and revises work in progress
Engages actively in class by working well in groups and with various classmates; takes responsibility for the success of personal and group learning; treats instruments and equipment with respect and care; arrives consistently on time for class