Throughout the elementary music learning years, our students experience a curriculum based on the New York State Standards for Music Education AND the NAfME (formerly MENC) Music Learning Standards. (NAfME is the National Association for Music Education.)
Recently, in 2014, the New National Core Arts Standards have been identified.
These standards are outlined below.
If you are interested in reading about them in greater detail, the appropriate link is provided.
These National Core Arts Standards are research-based, benchmarked internationally, align with 21st-Century skills, and are organized by instructional groupings:
- Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work
- Organize and develop artistic ideas and work
- Refine and complete artistic work
- Analyze, interpret and select artistic work for presentation
- Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for
- Convey meaning through the presentation of artistic work
- Perceive and analyze artistic work
- Interpret intent and meaning in artistic work
- Apply criteria to evaluate artistic work
- Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences
to make art
- Relate artistic ideas and works to societal, cultural and
historical context to deepen understanding
If you are interested in reading about these standards in greater detail, visit here: