Throughout the elementary music learning years, our students experience a curriculum based on the New York State Standards for Music Education and the NAME (formerly MENC) Music Learning Standards. (NAME is the National Association for Music Education.) These standards are outlined below. If you are interested in reading about them in greater detail, the appropriate links are provided.
NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR MUSIC EDUCATION
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
FOR COMPLETE DETAILS: http://www.menc.org/resources/view/national-standards-for-music-education
NYS STANDARDS FOR MUSIC EDUCATION
1: Creating, Performing and Participating in the Arts
2: Knowing and Using Arts Materials and Resources
3: Responding to and Analyzing Works of Art
4: Understanding the Cultural Dimensions and Contributions of the Arts
FOR COMPLETE DETAILS: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/arts/artstand/home.html