Welcome to Dr. Williams' webpage.
About My Classroom
Welcome to 6th grade science in the Butler House! This year will be your introduction to science as its own subject. This site will be used to keep you up-to-date with any important information about science class. This may include general information about class, online assignments, upcoming events or reminders. The section on the left hand side of the page will list homework assignments and the notes from prior classes.
Focus of 6th Grade Science1. Science isn't merely a collection of facts but is a dynamic understanding and researching of the world around us.
2. Science consists of cycles that often overlap into other branches of science and effect our daily lives.
3. 6th Grade science focuses on using active and authentic learning techniques to foster our students' inquiry skills.
NOT TURNING IN HOMEWORK
IMPORTANT: If you are not turning in your homework on time and need extra help...come to extra help. I am available Tuesday through Thursday 2:30 - 3:15 and by appointment in the mornings. Homework is extremely important in middle school and is something you are responsible for doing. Your grades will go down if you don't do your homework.
Not doing your homework is like being stuck on an escalator. No one is going to come and help you, you have to take the first steps.
I will post the notes in PDF form after the classes have completed for the day. You are responsible for having the notes in your binder regardless even if you are absent for that particular class.
There will be 4 major topics of study throughout the sixth grade year (order of topic coverage may vary).
I. Nature of Science
- inquiry, methods, observations, and measurement
- adaptations and interactions within biomes
III. Forces and Motion
- forces, friction, gravity, motion, speed, velocity, Newton's laws, work, and power
IV. Simple Machines
- types, functions, efficiency, and application